So there are a few things regarding cooking, eating and the kitchen (and beyond) that I’m not always proud of. We all have these things right? Nothing crazy, just things we’d rather not share with our kids, spouses and friends. But here goes. I have to tell someone.
1. When my kids aren’t looking I take a lick of batter. I do share the spoon/beater with the kids if there are no eggs in the batter. But I tell them it’s not safe if it has egg. The message is correct, but I risk it for myself.
2. I forget to set or listen for timers. My biggest mistakes in the kitchen are because I’ve overcooked something.
3. I used to eat Taco Bell breakfast burritos frequently. Mind you this was 20 years ago. I also ate Pop-Tarts as a kid.
4. I’ve told my family a particular food was gone and I actually hid the very last of it for myself. Specifically with a homemade chocolate sauce.
5. I am secretly screaming inside when my kids are served (and eat) a birthday cake from Safeway.
6. I do not have a slow cooker.
7. I do not like raw oysters.
8. I am not fond of paper plates, plastic utensils and paper napkins (especially if you invite me for dinner).
9. I’ve turned off a burner with my toes. I know other moms have done this while holding and/or nursing a baby. Fess up.
11. I don’t like to be “out-ordered”. This is when you go out to eat and your dining companion’s meal is better than yours.
12. I eat many lunches standing up by myself in the kitchen, bewteen pick-ups, while checking phone messages, searching cookbooks, and making to do lists.
13. I often cook to get out of doing something else, like cleaning.
14. I put rosemary salt on just about everything.
15. I don’t always sift, when instructed to.
So let’s have our first contest here. I’d love to see if anyone else does some of these things and any other confessions they’d like to share. These should be G rated please. The top 3 answers will receive a copy of one of the new Idiot books (and no I didn’t call you one): Complete Idiot’s Guide to Eating Local, Complete Idiot’s Guide to Vegan Baking and Complete Idiot’s Guide to Easy Freezer Meals. Simply blog a confession or agree with one of mine. I’ll choose the top 3 funniest and most honest. Winners will be contacted via email for their addresses (and must respond within 72 hours, or I’ll make a new pick). Must be in the continental US and blog here between Friday June 17th and Friday July 8th.